Biking on Atolls

Biking on Atolls

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Waiting around in Gan, Maldives

The flight to Male was a long one - about 34 hours door to door in a long stretched out day following the sun around the world.  Time here is exactly 12 hours from my home time zone.

Male is an amazing very crowded place with great food.  It is so small that from the hotel we stayed at I could see the ocean to the north from one side of the building and the ocean to the south from the other side.  I got blisters from my flip flops the first day walking around Male and have been nursing them a bit ever since.

Now in Gan which is just south of the equator staying at Equator Village - a simple resort that is made from what used to be a UK military base.  Went snorkeling at the reef at the resort this morning - so so amazing, even better than Palau.  It was like being in an aquarium - I'm not exaggerating.  The whole thing is even more amazing in that I did this, since I can't swim, but somehow it all worked out and I'm still alive to tell about it.  :-)

After days of looking we will know later today if we have a boat to take us to Chagos.  (btw - we are seeing some cracks in our group of the very well traveled.  Perhaps a bit of ego coming out.)


Flying to Male, Maldives


Room with a view - view from my hotel room in Male.


The Tsunami Monument on Male.


Male sunset.


Flying to Gan - Male from the air. The island looks like it could sink there are so many tall buildings on it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! Can't wait to hear more. Are you uploading photos anywhere?

    ReplyDelete