Biking on Atolls

Biking on Atolls

Friday, November 19, 2010

Bandar Seri Begawan and Bangar

aka Brunei




Brunei is what remains of an empire that once included all of Borneo. Now it is one of the smallest countries on earth. The main part of the capital (BSB) is about 12 blocks (basically). Had a nice walk around town including a stop for a meal at an Indian Muslim restaurant - great food and very cheap too! Though a little awkward when I noticed I was the only woman in the restaurant. Then had an expensive cup of coffee - same price as Starbucks at home - place called Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Seems to be a big chain. Expensive coffee seems to be available everywhere now. Happened past the Omar Ali Sairfuddien Mossque (yeah, I had to look that up) right at the 6PM call to prayer. Really something right at sunset. Beautiful, kind of other worldly. Brunei is a little country but a rich one and it looks in this mosque (saw exterior only).


Omar Ali Sairfuddien Mossque at sunset.

On Thursday Carolyn and I did the speed boat trip to Bangar - so cool! For a cost of about $5 one way you get a 45 minute speed boat trip through the marshes between BSB and Bangar. The rivers and waterways are the highway for the speed boat as it turns from one to another making its way along. Tried out my phone in the middle of the trip on the way back - had coverage and sent out a couple of txt msgs! So funny! I'm in the middle of this estuary in Brunei on a speed boat and there is cell phone coverage. Meanwhile at home in the heart of silicon valley I hit dead zones. Crazy!


Speedboat to Bangar

6 comments:

  1. Most excellent. I bet you are storing up those memories. I can't wait to hear all about the trip and see your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, where are you now? I'm thinking you are probably near home as you have another trip coming up.

    Alls good here, TG was wonderful and I'm back running my dogs in agility (broken toe all better).

    Hope to hear from you soon,

    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - I'm back in Male, Maldives. Two more weeks to go and then I'll be back home. I've been having trouble posting to the blog, so maybe I'll just wait until I get home and then post with pictures.

    So glad to hear your toe is better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You'll be back just in time to fly to Florida! I truly can no wait to hear about your adventures. Talk to you soon! Vici

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I forget to tell you, you are missed greatly!

    ReplyDelete